Thorough & Aggressive Advocacy For All  Your Legal Needs

Leaving Or Entering The United States

If you are in the process of petitioning for a certain immigration status in the United States and must travel out of the country while your petition is being processed, the attorneys of Polizzotto & Polizzotto, LLC, can help. We will review your situation and help you put together the proper support documents and affidavits needed to leave the country and successfully re-enter. This includes any necessary consular processing or adjustment in status.

To learn more about our services facilitating leaving or entering the United States during your immigration process, please contact our immigration lawyers today at 718-213-4861.

Traveling As A Permanent Resident Or Green Card Holder

If you are a legal permanent resident, you must be careful to avoid losing your status in the United States. There is a common misconception that once you have legal permanent residence in the United States, you are free to live abroad, making sure that you return to the country once a year. This is incorrect. If you leave for extended periods of time, you must be prepared to prove that you intend to continue to live permanently in the United States, showing evidence of residence. If you cannot prove this, your permanent resident status could be revoked.

If you spend more than a year outside of the country, you are required to apply for a permit to re-enter the country. For up to two years, you can use this permit instead of your visa or green card at any point of entry to the United States. This does not guarantee re-entry; however, it helps to prove that your stay abroad was only temporary.