Thorough & Aggressive Advocacy For All  Your Legal Needs

Could I lose my residency if I leave the U.S.?

On Behalf of | Sep 28, 2021 | Immigration |

You know how much effort you went through to gain permanent residency in the United States, so you do not want to do anything to endanger your residency status. You may fear losing this status so much that you do not want to leave the U.S. at all. Still, you should know that you can take trips out of the country, just not for too long.

There are legitimate reasons to make a trip abroad. You may want to visit friends or family in your old home country. You should make sure that your trip happens for a reasonable period of time. Otherwise, the U.S. government may believe you are abandoning the United States for residence elsewhere.

Explain your trip abroad

To avoid the loss of your permanent residency, you will probably need to show the U.S. government that your trip out of the country is temporary. According to the USCIS, you may explain why you departed the U.S. and how long you planned to be abroad. You can also describe any other circumstances or situations that are important to your trip.

Account for the unexpected

Sometimes things do not go as planned. Due to sudden circumstances, you might not be able to return to the United States on schedule. This could cause the U.S. government to reevaluate your residency status. If unexpected events occurred to keep you out of the United States for a longer time than you had wished, you will likely have to explain these issues to the USCIS.

Make preparations in advance

If you are looking for ways to bolster your case to the USCIS that you only intend to take a temporary trip to another country, consider taking measures before you leave the U.S. If you ask the USCIS for a re-entry permit, it may offer solid evidence that you want to return to the U.S. If you are abroad, you may apply for an SB-1 visa at that country’s U.S. consulate.

Consider your options as early as you can so you can offer the U.S. government the best possible assurance that you are taking your residency in the United States seriously.

FindLaw Network