Thorough & Aggressive Advocacy For All  Your Legal Needs

My green card is about to expire, what can I do?

On Behalf of | Dec 22, 2017 | Immigration |

You entered the country the right way and have made New York your new home. You worked hard and obtained your green card. Your green card is about to expire, though. What can you do?

Green cards are only good for so long, generally 10 years. If you let it expire, you may be subject to deportation. So, before this happens, take the necessary steps to prevent it early on before it becomes an issue.


You may apply to have your greed card renewed. This process takes some time, so do not wait until the last minute. Some suggest starting the process at least six months before the expiration date.

Filing a renewal may seem like a fairly simple process. According to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, you can do it online by e-filing a Form I-90 or you can print out a paper copy of this form, fill it out and mail it in. If you are not in the United States when your green card is set to expire, you may need to visit a local U.S. Consulate in order to start the renewal process. However, it may not be that simple.


Unfortunately, it is possible for USCIS to deny your renewal request. This can happen for a number of reasons, though, and it is often due to an application error. You can monitor the status of your renewal request by looking up your case online or by calling the USCIS National Customer Service Center. If you call, you will need to provide:

  • Your name
  • Date of birth
  • Receipt number
  • Alien registration number

Without this information, they will not be able to look up your account. After filing your renewal request, it can take weeks to months before you hear anything. It all depends on where your application falls in line.

If your application does not receive approval, you may be able to request that USCIS reopen your case. You will have to submit new evidence that will help your case. In order to be successful, it is necessary to establish that USCIS denied your initial application due to an error in its in application of immigration law.

Don’t go it alone

While filing a green card renewal seems like a simple task, any small error on the application form could result in a denial. Fighting to have your case reopened and reconsidered is no walk in the park. Thankfully, you do not have to do any of this alone. With legal assistance, you can file your renewal form on time and possibly error free. If your request fails to receive approval, further help can be provided as you fight to reopen your case.

FindLaw Network