Thorough & Aggressive Advocacy For All  Your Legal Needs

What is alternative dispute resolution?

On Behalf of | Mar 23, 2022 | Family Law |

If you are thinking about going through divorce, then something you might want to consider is trying alternative dispute resolution. Alternative dispute resolution, or ADR, refers to different methods of resolving divorce problems outside of court. Some of the issues you can resolve in ADR may include:

  • Alimony/spousal support concerns
  • Conflicts over child custody
  • Equitable asset distribution
  • Child support

These and other issues can be discussed and resolved if you and the other party are willing to work together or commit to an ADR solution.

Why would you want to settle outside of court?

There are many reasons to try to settle outside of court, but two of the most convincing are that you can save money and reduce how long it takes to divorce.

If you litigate, you can expect to go to court hearings and to have to build a case for what you want. Litigation is generally reserved for times when conflicts cannot be resolved outside of court.

Alternatively, ADR allows you to go through options like arbitration, mediation or other kinds of negotiation to come to agreements without a judge getting involved. The nice thing about ADR is that it is usually less time-intensive and tends to come at a lower cost.

Can you use ADR if you have divorce conflicts?

Alternative dispute resolution isn’t for everyone, but if you and your spouse can commit to trying to resolve your disputes, then it may work for you. If you or your spouse is going to refuse to settle or negotiate, then this alternative option may not be right for you.

You have options when you divorce

You should remember that you do have options when you’re divorcing. Not every divorce goes to court for a trial, and yours don’t necessarily need to, either. If you want to avoid going to trial and believe that doing so would be in your best interests, then looking into alternative methods of resolving conflicts could be a good option. Talk to your spouse and your attorney, and you may find that there are alternatives that are right for resolving your particular disputes.

FindLaw Network