PLEASE NOTE: To protect your safety in response to the threats of Covid-19, we are offering our clients the ability to meet with us in-person, via telephone, or through video conferencing. Please call our office to discuss your options.
Polizzotto & Polizzotto
Call Us Today
347-462-0510 | 718-213-4861
Founded Over 40 Years Ago

Don't let your anger sabotage your child custody case

If you're in a custody battle with a co-parent who's seeking primary or sole custody of your children, you may not be thinking or acting rationally. You may be consumed by anger that your fitness as a parent is being challenged.

Your goal is to demonstrate to the court (and maybe your co-parent) that you deserve the custody rights you're seeking. To do that, you need to avoid some pitfalls that too often end up hurting parents in heated custody battles.

Don't withhold information about your child from your co-parent.

You may not be on good terms with them right now. However, it's essential to demonstrate that you take the term "co-parent" seriously. If it's difficult to talk or even text with your ex, find a co-parenting app where you can share information without interacting. If you share information, they'll be more likely to do the same. It's important for you to show that you're up-to-date on what's going on in your kids' lives, even if you don't see them as much as you'd like.

Don't try to alienate your kids from your co-parent.

When kids ask about why they're not spending more time with you, it can be tempting to blame your co-parent. However, your co-parent -- and the judge -- may see that as parental alienation, which many people view as emotional abuse. If you're perceived as trying to turn your kids against their other parent, it could end up hurting you.

Don't risk a contempt of court citation.

While you're making your case, obey all court orders. That means adhering to the current custody or visitation schedule and returning the kids on time. Don't be late with child support.

Follow the court orders. For example, maybe there's an issue with where you live or some of the people with whom you spend time. If the judge requires you to make changes in order for you to spend more time with your kids, it's best to do that unless you believe the requirement is unreasonable.

Your attorney can be an excellent source of guidance during this time, as they have a more impartial view of the situation. If you have an experienced attorney whom you trust, rely on them to help you make a strong case for the custody rights you're seeking.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Contact us today

Contact Our Law Offices

Give our attorneys the opportunity to demonstrate the personal, professional attention that we offer each client. Call 347-462-0510 or contact us online today.

Contact the Firm

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Connect With Us

Leap Portal

Brooklyn Office
6911 18th Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11204

Phone: 347-462-0510
Fax: 718-256-0966
Brooklyn Law Office Map

Manhasset Office
1129 Northern Blvd #404
Manhasset, NY 11030

Phone: 347-462-0510
Fax: 718-256-0966
Map & Directions