PLEASE NOTE: To protect your safety in response to the threats of Covid-19, we are offering our clients the ability to meet with us in-person, via telephone, or through video conferencing. Please call our office to discuss your options.
Polizzotto & Polizzotto
Call Us Today
347-462-0510 | 718-213-4861
Founded Over 40 Years Ago

Can permanent residents travel outside the U.S.?

There is a misconception about a resident's ability to travel while holding a visa in the United States. Most people believe that once you are in America, you are not allowed to leave U.S. soil or else your visa may be at risk.

The truth is that permeant residents are free to travel abroad as long as they have a valid, unexpired visa. There are only a few questions residents should ask before buying their next plane ticket.

What do I need to travel outside the U.S.?

There are several documents residents need to be able to exit and enter the states after the travel, and the pieces include:

1. A valid form of identification - examples include a passport from your country of citizenship, refugee travel document, foreign national I.D. card or a U.S. Driver's License.

2. A valid green card or permanent resident card - if the visa is expired, it will be difficult to reenter the country upon your return.

Returning to the states from a trip is similar to reentering the country for any other reason. You will need all your proper documentation and answer any questions about your travels. For example, an officer may ask about the intention or length of your trips. They may even question whether you maintained ties to the U.S. or maintained employment during your travels.

Does the length of the trip matter?

Brief vacations typically do not matter regarding your residency. However, there are circumstances that if you stayed out of the states for more than a year. The process will be complicated with longer trips - especially regarding your ties to America.

To help the process, you can file a form I-131 which allows permanent residents to return to the US during the permit's validity without another returning resident visa. Otherwise, you will need to apply for a returning resident visa at the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate.

As stated, brief trips won't affect your residency in America, but trips over six months may affect your ability to apply for naturalization. If you have concerns about how your upcoming vacation impacts your chances at citizenship, visit the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services website

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Contact us today

Contact Our Law Offices

Give our attorneys the opportunity to demonstrate the personal, professional attention that we offer each client. Call 347-462-0510 or contact us online today.

Contact the Firm

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Connect With Us

Leap Portal

Brooklyn Office
6911 18th Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11204

Phone: 347-462-0510
Fax: 718-256-0966
Brooklyn Law Office Map

Manhasset Office
1129 Northern Blvd #404
Manhasset, NY 11030

Phone: 347-462-0510
Fax: 718-256-0966
Map & Directions