PLEASE NOTE: To protect your safety in response to the threats of Covid-19, we are offering our clients the ability to meet with us in-person, via telephone, or through video conferencing. Please call our office to discuss your options.
Polizzotto & Polizzotto
Call Us Today
347-462-0510 | 718-213-4861
Founded Over 40 Years Ago

Will your work problems keep you from being deported?

When you first obtained gainful employment in the United States, you may have had mixed emotions. On one hand, you were no doubt relieved that you had secured a means to provide for your family. On the other, you may have worried that an incident would occur to place you at risk for deportation.

Depending on your circumstances -- for instance,  if you are the victim of a crime at work  or anywhere in the country -- you may be able to apply for a U Visa that would allow you to keep living and working in the United States.

Never heard of a U Visa?

Just because you are living here without proper documentation doesn't mean your employer or anyone else can walk all over you, abuse you or commit illegal acts against you. You have rights. A U Visa protects non-immigrants who have been victims of crimes. The following information offers basic facts, as well as eligibility requirements for the U Visa application process:

  • Simply reporting you were a victim of crime is not enough to secure a U Visa. You must also be willing to help investigators and other law officials in their quest to prosecute and convict those who committed the crime.
  • Your U Visa is not without expiration. When it expires, you must apply for renewal and obtain approval; if you don't, you are at immediate risk for deportation.
  • While under the protected U Visa status, you are immune from deportation.
  • Some of the crimes of which you may be victim at work that would create eligibility for a U Visa status include felonious assault, labor contract fraud and involuntary servitude (when someone forces you into labor against your will).

There are other requirements you must satisfy before you can apply for a U Visa. If you believe your employer or some other person has committed a crime against you that would make you eligible for this temporary protected status, you may submit an application that may keep you from being separated from your family.

Many people in your situation are fearful of reporting crimes against them because they think they are not entitled to protection under the law since they are living in the United States without proper legal statuses. There is a large support network available in New York and elsewhere to help non-immigrants navigate the process of applying for U Visa statuses.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Contact us today

Contact Our Law Offices

Give our attorneys the opportunity to demonstrate the personal, professional attention that we offer each client. Call 347-462-0510 or contact us online today.

Contact the Firm

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Connect With Us

Leap Portal

Brooklyn Office
6911 18th Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11204

Phone: 347-462-0510
Fax: 718-256-0966
Brooklyn Law Office Map

Manhasset Office
1129 Northern Blvd #404
Manhasset, NY 11030

Phone: 347-462-0510
Fax: 718-256-0966
Map & Directions