PLEASE NOTE: To protect your safety in response to the threats of Covid-19, we are offering our clients the ability to meet with us in-person, via telephone, or through video conferencing. Please call our office to discuss your options.
Polizzotto & Polizzotto
Call Us Today
347-462-0510 | 718-213-4861
Founded Over 40 Years Ago

I-9 Employment Eligibility Immigration Form for Employers

For immigration purposes, employers are required to verify the employment eligibility for every employee hired using the I-9 Form from the USCIS.  Employers who fail to obtain the appropriate documentation from new employees can be fined penalties in an amount of not less than $110 and not more than $1,100 for each violation per I-9 employment verification form they failed to fill out and maintain.

As part of the employment eligibility verification process, on the first day of employment, employees must provide proof that they are U.S. citizens or nationals, lawful permanent residents, or people otherwise authorized to be employed in the United States.

Within three days of hire, every new employee must show their employer documentation that establishes both proof of their identity and proof of their eligibility to work in the United States.

The I-9 Form must be completed for every new employee, regardless of their national origin or whether or not the employee is a U.S. citizen. Under IRCA, if an employer fails to verify the identity and employment authorization of a new employee, by completing the I-9 Form, the employer has violated federal immigration law.

Documents That Establish Identity and Employment Eligibility

These documents establish both identity and eligibility to work in the United States.

Acceptable Documents: List A - Documents that Establish Both Identity and Employment Eligibility

  1. U.S. Passport (unexpired or expired.
  2. Certificate of U.S. Citizenship (Form N-560 or N-561).
  3. Certificate of Naturalization (Form N-550 or N-570).
  4. Unexpired foreign passport, with an attached Form I-94 indicating unexpired employment authorization.
  5. Permanent Resident Card or Alien Registration Receipt Card with photograph (Form I-551).
  6. Unexpired Temporary Resident Card (Form I-688).
  7. Unexpired Employment Authorization Card (Form I-688A).
  8. Unexpired Reentry Permit (Form I-327).
  9. Unexpired Refugee Travel Document (Form 1-571).
  10. Unexpired Employment Authorization Document issued by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) that contains a photograph (Form I-688B).

Documents that Establish Identity - List B

Or, an employee needs to present both proof of identity (List B) and proof of employment eligibility (List C). These documents establish an employee's identity. List C establishes an employee's eligibility to work in the United States.

  1. Driver's license or ID card issued by a state or outlying possession of the United States provided it contains a photograph or information such as name, date of birth, gender, height, eye color, and address.
  2. ID card issued by federal, state or local government agencies or entities, provided it contains a photograph or information such as name, date of birth, gender, height, eye color, and address.
  3. School ID card with a photograph.
  4. Voter's registration card.
  5. U.S. Military card or draft record.
  6. Military dependent's ID card.
  7. U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Card.
  8. Native American tribal document.
  9. Driver's license issued by a Canadian government authority.
  10. For persons under age 18 who are unable to present a document listed above, collect:
  11. School record or report card.
  12. Clinic, doctor or hospital record.
  13. Day-care or nursery school record.

    Documents that Establish Employment Eligibility

    One of these documents must be presented in addition to the document presented from List B.

    Documents that Establish Employment Eligibility - List C

    1. U.S. social security card issued by the Social Security Administration (other than a card stating it is not valid for employment).
    2. Certification of Birth Abroad issued by the Department of State (Form FS-545 or Form DS-1350)
    3. Original or certified copy of a birth certificate issued by a state, county, municipal authority or outlying possession of the United States bearing an official seal.
    4. Native American tribal document.
    5. U.S. Citizen ID Card (Form I-197)
    6. ID Card for use of a Resident Citizen in the United States (Form I-179).
    7. Unexpired employment authorization document issued by DHS (other than those listed under List A).

    Additional Form I-9 Employer Responsibilities

    • Make sure your I-9 Forms are filled out correctly. Follow the directions exactly.
    • Employers must keep each employee I-9 Form on file for at least three years, or for one year after employment ends, whichever is longer.
    • Keep and make copies of the original documents supplied by your employees - not required, but advised. Keep only the minimum number of documents required and store the I-9 forms and document photocopies separate from your employee files.
    • If changes are made to the I9 file document, change them on the original form and initial and date the changes. Don't fill out a new form.
    • Re-verify expiring work authorizations and do not allow the employee to work if their documentation has expired.
    • Be sure to respond according to timing instructions and guidelines if you receive a Social Security Administration no-match letter that indicates a certain number of your employees have unverifiableSocial Security Numbers.

    Obtain current I-9 Form information at the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Contact us today

Contact Our Law Offices

Give our attorneys the opportunity to demonstrate the personal, professional attention that we offer each client. Call 347-462-0510 or contact us online today.

Contact the Firm

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Connect With Us

Leap Portal

Brooklyn Office
6911 18th Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11204

Phone: 347-462-0510
Fax: 718-256-0966
Brooklyn Law Office Map

Manhasset Office
1129 Northern Blvd #404
Manhasset, NY 11030

Phone: 347-462-0510
Fax: 718-256-0966
Map & Directions