Guardianships and Conservatorships

It is estimated that nearly four million Americans suffer some form of mental dementia, most commonly Alzheimer's Disease. That figure is expected to triple by 2050. With the onset of dementia comes the growing need for assistance with such common daily tasks as dressing and feeding oneself, administering to even modest financial matters, and providing for one's own medical care. If you have a loved one who has difficulty making sound financial and lifestyle decisions, contact an experienced elder law attorney to discuss the possibility of establishing a guardianship or conservatorship to aid your loved ones.

The elder law attorneys at the law firm of Polizzotto and Polizzotto, LLC understand from both our personal and professional experience how emotional and financial hardships that can come about as your loved ones grow older. We offer legal counsel and representation to help you through the myriad of issues that are covered under elder law. Our attorneys can help with Medicaid planning and nursing home issues, estate planning questions, trust preparation, as well as matters requiring guardianships or conservatorships. Below is helpful information to answer some of your questions on elder law.

Contact Polizzotto and Polizzotto, LLC for a consultation on your elder law matter for a frank, in-depth discussion of the legal principles and procedures involved in resolving your situation.

Thank you for contacting Polizzotto & Polizzotto. Your message has been sent.

Call us now

or use the form below.

Guardianships and Conservatorships

Guardianship and conservatorship questions may arise when an elder relative or older loved one shows signs of incapacity or can no longer handle personal care or financial matters. A guardian or conservator is only appointed if a judge determines the person, frequently referred to as a "ward," is incapacitated or incompetent, depending on the law of the state. The guardian or conservator could be a spouse, child, friend or other interested party. To determine whether a guardianship or conservatorship is appropriate in your situation, contact an experienced elder law attorney from Polizzotto & Polizzotto in Brooklyn, NY.

Guardianships and conservatorships; what's the difference?

Depending on the state, guardians and conservators may have different roles. In states with both guardians and conservators, guardians' duties typically involve providing for the physical and mental health of the "ward" (the person under protection) while conservators typically handle the ward's financial matters. But some states use the term "guardian" to describe both of these roles, and some states may only use the term "conservator." Regardless of the term used, however, if the judge determines the ward is incapacitated, the judge must also determine the specific duties of the guardian or conservator, including ensuring appropriate physical or medical care for the ward, managing the ward's finances, and representing the ward in lawsuits and other matters. In many states, even someone under guardianship or conservatorship will retain the right to vote unless the court specifically orders otherwise.

The ward's rights

Depending on the circumstances, the ward may retain the right to control many aspects of his or her life. For example, the ward may be able to handle personal care, but be unable to manage his or her own finances (or vice versa). In those cases, the guardian or conservator will only be appointed to handle matters that the ward cannot handle. While exercising their powers, guardians and conservators are bound to employ "reasonable care." But, guardians and conservators are generally not legally liable to the ward or to third parties unless they engage in willful misconduct or gross negligence.

Applying for a guardianship or conservatorship

To initiate a guardianship or conservatorship, an interested party must file a petition to the court. The petition will state the petitioner's relationship to the prospective ward. The petition will also state facts that show that the proposed ward is incapacitated and the need for a guardian. The petition should detail the ward's property and assets. The judge will examine the petition and hold a hearing that the proposed ward must attend if he or she is able. After the hearing, the judge will decide if the proposed ward needs a guardian, conservator or both. Wards have the right to appeal a guardianship or conservatorship determination.

Once appointed, a guardian or conservator must be discharged by the judge to end the guardianship or conservatorship. Reasons for discharge include the death of the ward or conservatee, the ward's return to capacity or the guardian/conservator's inability to fulfill his or her duties.

Speak to an elder law attorney

Friends and family members must confront difficult questions and emotions if they believe that a loved one can no longer care for himself or herself. The role of guardian or conservator is very complicated and requires dedication. A skilled elder law attorney from Polizzotto & Polizzotto in Brooklyn, NY, can help you find answers to guardianship and conservatorship questions, guide you through the processes of guardianship and conservatorship and help you comply with the court's orders.

DISCLAIMER: This site and any information contained herein are intended for informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice. Seek competent legal counsel for advice on any legal matter.

Back to Main